"St. Mary Mother of God Roman Catholic Church was established in 1846 at 5th and H Streets, N.W., as the first Roman Catholic church for the German-speaking community in the Nation’s Capital. The first pastor was Rev. Mathias Alig, who was born in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. The present building dates from 1890. Prayers in German may be seen carved on stone plaques in the vestibule."
727 5th Street Northwest, Washington, DC 20001
Leave a Reply ·