The bakery was another successful and popular destination run by Germans in Middletown in the 19th an early 20th centuries.
Johann Hoffort’s bakery was located on the corner of Main and Washington streets in the 1860s.
"When it opened in 1865, Hoffort’s was the city’s first German bakery. It’s not known why Hoffort settled in Middletown, with its relatively small German community. Soon other German immigrants arrived to work for Hoffort; several later established their own bakeries in Middletown. In 1878, Hoffort sold his business to his brother-in-law, Jacob Stueck, and left Middletown." This Jacob Stueck first employed Carl Hermann whose deli was destroyed in 1918 in the anti-German WWI fervor.
Information: Middlesex Historical Society
Corner of Main and Washington Street Middletown, CT 06457