Schifferstadt, Also known as Scheifferstadt, is the oldest standing house in Frederick, Maryland. Built in 1758, it is one of the nation's finest examples of German-Georgian colonial architecture. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2016.
The stone house was completed in 1758 as were the three cast iron five-plate stoves used to heat the rooms. Only one survives. The house stands on land settled by German immigrant farmer Josef Brunner (later alternately spelled 'Bruner' and 'Brooner') in 1736. In time, Brunner purchased 303 acres (123 ha) of a 7,000-acre tract land known as "Tasker's Chance" from Frederick Town (current-day Frederick) developer Daniel Dulany. Brunner named the property after Klein Schifferstadt, his home town in the Rhineland-Palatinate region of southwestern Germany near Mannheim. Brunner's older sons purchased adjacent farms, bringing the total owned by the family to about 1000 acres.
1110 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD 21701
Leave a Reply ·