"The Wilmington society was founded in 1859. It was organized to further physical education and to advance the physical, moral, and intellectual welfare of its members through sports, entertainments, and cultural activities. The organization consisted of active, passive, honorary, and lifelong members, and was composed of various sections and committees, which included: a physical education committee, which kept lists of active members who participated in gymnastic exercises; a cultural education committee which supervised cultural competitions and prepared the rules for education programs and festivals; a committee on entertainment which arranged all entertainments; and an auditing committee."
The building was demolished and the site is now occupied by the Louis L. Redding City Council Building.
802-804 French St., Wilmington, DE 19801