"Samuel Herman hired Cluss to design a brick row containing three houses each with a store on the first floor. The Evening Star noted that the African American bricklayers who worked on these houses were "doing credible work." In 1900-01, a railroad company purchased and demolished all the buildings, including Herman's three houses, in the block between C and D streets and Four and a Half and Fifth Streets.Samuel Herman emigrated in 1855 from Hesse-Darmstadt. His wife emigrated from Bavaria. He started a retail business by 1864 on Four and a Half Street, and remained in the dry goods business until the loss of his houses ca. 1900."
323 4th Street Southwest, Washington, DC 20547