"Founded in 1887, the Indianapolis Brewing Company, owned by an “English Syndicate”, was the merger of three local businesses, the P. Lieber Brewing Company City Brewery, the Casper Maus Brewery, and the C.F. Schmidt Brewing Company. The company won medals for its Duesseldorfer beer at the Paris Exposition of 1900, the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904, and at Liege, Belgium in 1906. The company billed itself as a modern brewery, ranking among the largest and best in the world. Producers of Ozotonic and malt extract both before and during Prohibition, the company reincorporated in 1933 under the name of Indiana Breweries, Inc., but switched back to Indianapolis Brewing Company in 1935. According to the Indianapolis Encyclopedia (1994), the IBC closed its doors in 1948 when the president, Lawrence Barden, went to jail for short-filling bottles and the company went bankrupt. Brands produced by IBC included Tafel, Circle City, Crown Select, De Luxe Bock, Duesseldorfer, Lieber’s Gold Metal Beer, Tonica, Burgomaster, Derby, Pilsner Club, Indiana Club, October Ale, Derbey, and Progress Beer."
Barnhill Drive & West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202