"In 1892 Hermann Hollerith moved his fledgling tabulating machine business from downtown Washington, D.C., to a former cooper's shop in the Georgetown section of the city. Seen here the following year, the two-story building (later expanded) housed Hollerith's card manufacturing plant, assembly plant, repair shop and development laboratory. Three years after this photograph was taken, Hollerith incorporated his business as the Tabulating Machine Company. It was consolidated into the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Co. in 1911, and CTR -- with Thomas J. Watson, Sr., at the helm -- was renamed IBM 13 years later."
1054 31st Street Northwest, Washington, DC 20007
Leave a Reply ·