"Washington's German-speaking immigrants founded many clubs and societies, including the Schützen-Verein, a marksmanship and social club. Its Schützenpark outside the city proper on 7th Street Road became a center for the German community in the post-Civil War years. In addition to marksmanship ranges, the Schützenpark housed a hotel, band pavilion, dining facilities and a bowling green. It hosted annual Schützenfest and German Day celebrations. Presidents, Members of Congress and the Cabinet often attended. Adolf Cluss was also a member of the Schützenverein; in 1866 his wife Rosa gave the association its first flag. Cluss designed the original hall and hotel in 1873. After fire destroyed the hall and hotel in 1880, Cluss and Schulze designed a new building. When suburban developments reached upper 7th Street in the 1890s, its owner sold the property."
Georgia Avenue Northwest & Hobart Place Northwest, Washington, DC 20001