"St. Mary Mother of God Roman Catholic Church was established in 1846 at 5th and H Streets, N.W., as the first Roman Catholic church for the German-speaking community in the Nation’s Capital. The first pastor was Rev. Mathias Alig, who was born in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. The present building dates from 1890. Prayers in German may be seen carved on stone plaques in the vestibule."
727 5th Street Northwest, Washington, DC 20001