Jacob Poliner, an immigrant from Austria, first settled in Hartford and then moved to Middletown, where he established at shoe store at 548 Main Street (at the corner of Ferry Street). A leading member of Adath Israel synagogue, Poliner officiated as cantor in the congregation’s early days and was widely known for his knowledge of the Talmud. One of his five sons was Judge Isreal Poliner, who opened a law office in the Poliner Building in 1928. The original Poliner shoe store was located in a building at 548 Main Street, where it remained in business for decades (even after the construction of the new Poliner Building in 1925). Built around 1833, the building still stands today.
548 Main Street, Midletown, CT 06457