The Hecht Company's main department store downtown was located here at the southeast corner of 7th and F Streets, where Alexander and Moses Hecht, the sons of a German-Jewish merchant family from Baltimore, first opened a shop on March 20, 1896 at 515 Seventh Street. The current building has been completely rebuilt and restored. Overhead, an over-sized four-sided clock served--and now serves again--as a convenient landmark meeting-place for shoppers and others. Macy's acquired The Hecht Company.
The Hecht Company's Warehouse is a Streamline Modern building, and located at 1401 New York Avenue NE, served as the company's warehouse beginning in 1937. Today, the site and surrounding area are being redeveloped.
515 7th Street Northwest, Washington, DC 20004