"Established by order of President Thomas Jefferson 1805, this building constructed 1873, designed by Adolf Cluss, additions 1907-8 by Snowden Ashford. Eastern Market, one of three public markets proposed in L’Enfant’s Plan, was established in 1805, by Presidential Proclamation. It was relocated to this site in 1873, as a new building, designed by Adolf Cluss, which is now known as South Hall. Designated a D.C. Historic Landmark in 1964, the Market was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. Adolf Cluss, the architect,shaped a Capital City worthy of the Republic after the Civil War. He was born in Heilbronn, Germany, July 14, 1825 and died in Washington, D.C., July 24, 1905."
225 7th Street Southeast, Washington, DC 20003