The founders of Salem met together as early as 1855 in the home of a German settler. A circuit riding preacher would minister to the spiritual needs of the people. The attendance increased so rapidly that the need of a church became apparent. The new church was founded as the German Evangelical Salem Church on December 25, 1856.
The founding constitution set forth the doctrinal perspective of the congregation as follows. “She is and remains a part of the Evangelical, that is, the united Lutheran-Reformed Church, as it exists in Germany and has spread to this location.”
14134 Darmstadt Road, Darmstadt, IN 47725