Lewis Mill Complex is a historic grist mill complex located in Jefferson, Frederick County, Maryland. The complex consists of seven standing structures, a house foundation, and the remains of an earlier millrace. It centers on an early 19th-century three-story brick mill structure with a gabled roof. The mill served German immigrant farmers in the Middletown Valley between 1810 and the 1920s. It was rehabilitated in 1979-1980 for use as a pottery shop. Also in the complex are a log house with stucco and a log springhouse built about; a frame wagon shed, a corn crib structure, and a frame barn dating from the late 19th century; as well as an early 20th century cattle shelter and a frame garage.
In 1982, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places: https://mht.maryland.gov/secure/medusa/PDF/NR_PDFs/NR-679.pdf
A trombe wall was installed on the south wall of the mill in 1980 to heat the business and living quarters. Solar panels were installed on outbuildings in 2011. Two businesses are located in the mill: NutriCycle Systems and Catoctin Pottery.
For additional pictures, please visit https://millpictures.com/mills.php?millid=1197
3205 Poffenberger Road, Jefferson, MD 21755
Leave a Reply ·