The parish was founded by German Catholic immigrants in 1837, but the present church, which is made out of red brick, was not constructed until much later. It was consecrated in 1862, and "The Franklin Democrat" reported on December 5, 1862, that this new building was "the largest church edifice in the State." The church is still run by Franciscan Friars of St. John the Baptist to this day, and the descendants of German immigrants continue to worship within the walls of this church.
3027 Pearl Street, Oldenburg, IN 47036
Leave a Reply ·