Former home of Herman Lieber, a prominent Indianapolis resident. The house was built in 1860 and is located in the Lockerbie Square Historic District.
"Herman Lieber (1832-1908) was a member of a family that came to Indianapolis from Germany following the 1848 revolutions. The Lieber family made a considerable impact on business and cultural life in the Hoosier capital. Born in Dusseldorf on 23 August 1832, Lieber came to Indianapolis in 1854, where he opened a small bindery near Washington and Meridian streets. He married Mary Metzger in 1857, thus making an alliance with another prominent German family. Their six children (Otto R., Carl H., Robert, Herman P., Ida, and Anna) married members of the Pfaff, Pantzer, Kothe, and Stempfel families. Herman Lieber, along with members of the Fletcher banking family, was one of the patrons who made it possible for T. C. Steele, William Forsyth, and other artists to study painting in Munich in the early 1880s. Herman established the H. Lieber Company (a firm specializing in picture frames and framing) in 1884, a business which the family kept going for several generations. Herman influenced the establishment and operation of German institutions in Indianapolis, including the Athenaeum, the German-English School, and the Normal School of the North American Gymnastic Union. A prohibitionist, Lieber served as president of the Anti-Prohibition League of Indiana in 1882. Herman Lieber, Sr. died on 22 March 1908 on a train near Flagstaff, Arizona."
407 North Park Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Leave a Reply ·