Heritage Lutheran Church formerly known as Immanuel Lutheran Church was founded in 1864 by German immigrants, and built its first church at Academy and Chestnut in 1886. In 1881 the property at Washington and Institute was bought and a small church on it served them ten years.
In 1891 the present structure was erected by the well-known builder, Henry Lemster and his son, Charles. With its lofty domed ceilings and its smoothly finished walls the resulting acoustics were splendid and the fine tall stained glass windows provided a flood of light. A pipe organ was installed and in 1930 the large Parish Hall was added.
The church is on the National Register of Historic Places.
308 Washington Street, Valparaiso, IN 46383
Leave a Reply ·