Erected 1861-64 by Anton Hackman from Winkum, Germany at a cost of $3,317.85. Structure consists of 125,000 brick handmade locally at Gehrings Brick Yards. Bricklayers earned $2.00 and Laborers $1.25 for 10 hour day. Ornate tinwork on front of building fashioned by Caspar Gaupel, Master Tinsmith. Served as a Trading Center housing 3 floors of merchandise. Post Office, Tavern and Residence.
Marker erected by: Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Munchel, 1970
Location: Northwest corner of Main and Pearl Streets, Oldenburg, Indiana
22163 Main Street, Oldenburg, IN 47036